Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– In 1976, a book about a lonely librarian in a sexual relationship with a BEAR won a prestigious writing award in Canada.
– The famous warehouse at the end of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is a painting. It just looks real thanks to great camera work.
– “B.C.” and “A.D.” were invented in 525 A.D. by a monk who wanted to make sure they were celebrating Easter on the right date.
– Australia is the only place in the world with horizontal time zones. But they only go into effect in the summer . . . which is our winter.
– In Roald Dahl’s first version of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” in 1964, the Oompa Loompas were black pygmy slaves from Africa. But the book was revised and republished in 1972, and they were described as white dwarf hippies.
Strange and trending news:
– Here are a few stats for Valentine’s Day: Last year, Americans bought $9.5 billion in UNWANTED gifts. Only 20% of us think Valentine’s Day is romantic . . . compared to 46% who think it’s too commercialized. And 15% of us will buy OURSELVES a gift this year. (Full Story)
– According to a new survey, about 7% of people have dumped someone on Valentine’s Day. 6% have also dumped someone shortly before Valentine’s Day, and another 6% have done it right after. (Full Story)
– A new poll for Valentine’s Day found the average American spends $697 on dates each year, and the average first date costs $77. (Full Story)
– A survey found the worst gifts people have gotten for Valentine’s day, including: a used candle . . . clothes the guy’s EX left at his place . . . a lighter with a sports team’s logo on it . . . and a greeting card for a different holiday. (Full Story)
– According to a new survey, people who say they regularly take naps are more PRODUCTIVE and HAPPIER than the rest of us. And 17% of adults say they take naps at least five days a week. (Full Story)
– There’s a photo of a perfectly normal dog that’s going viral right now . . . because an optical illusion makes it look anything BUT normal. It kind of looks like a goat, pig, dog hybrid animal. At least until you rotate the photo. (Full Story)
– Back in 2017, a drunk 16-year-old was driven home by a cop . . . then stole his cop car while he talked to her mom. She crashed and wound up in the hospital. And now she’s filed a lawsuit for $300,000 against the COP. She says he should’ve restrained her or taken the keys. (Full Story)
– Someone posted a video on TikTok on Tuesday from a Wendy’s in Michigan that showed a guy taking a bubble bath in the kitchen SINK. And now, everyone who was working at the time has been FIRED. (Full Story)
– A few years ago, a woman in Massachusetts went on a first date with a guy she’d met online . . . and he ROBBED a BANK on their date and made her be his getaway driver. He was just sentenced to five years in prison, and the woman managed to avoid any charges. (Full Story)
– A guy in New York robbed a Taco Bell on Tuesday . . . then tried to hide from the cops across the street in a strip club. But they found him there three minutes later and arrested him on two felony counts. And in his mugshot, he’s wearing a Hooters T-shirt. (Full Story)
– A couple from California adopted a baby and flew to Colorado to get her. And on their flight home, the crew and passengers threw a makeshift baby shower. (Full Story)