Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– “Dallas Buyers Club” had such a low budget that the makeup artist, Robin Mathews, only had $250 to spend for the entire movie. And . . . she still won the Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyling.
– The part of the watermelon we eat is its placenta.
– Salmon sushi doesn’t come from Japan. It was created in Norway in the ’80s because they had a salmon surplus.
– The legal definition of an “infant” isn’t just a baby . . . it’s anyone under 18.
– E.L. James wrote “Fifty Shades of Grey” on a Blackberry during her commute to work.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey asked people what could happen that would make them instantly feel happier. And the top three are: Winning the lottery . . . going on a vacation . . . and finding a random $5 bill in your pocket. (Full Story)
– A new survey found America’s favorite breakfast foods in 2019 are eggs . . . sausage . . . bacon . . . pancakes . . . toast . . . waffles . . . avocado . . . cereal . . . breakfast sandwiches . . . and bananas. (Full Story)
– WATCHING sports is almost as much of a workout as PLAYING sports, according to a new study. The researchers found that during an important game, fans’ heart rates went up 64%, which is about the same increase as you’d get from a 90-minute walk or a, quote, “moderate cardiovascular workout.” (Full Story)
– The hottest job in America is . . . tax manager. According to a new study, people who create tax plans for businesses or people have the best opportunities for advancing in their careers . . . and the average salary is $112,000. (Full Story)
– A 15-year-old girl is trending right now after her mom took her phone away . . . and she resorted to using their SMART REFRIGERATOR to post on Twitter. (Full Story)
– A police officer in Seattle spotted a guy parked by the side of the road on Tuesday night . . . playing “Pokemon Go” on eight phones simultaneously. But since the cop hadn’t caught him playing while he was driving, the guy got off without a ticket. (Full Story)
#PokemonDistraction Sergeant Kyle Smith contacted a vehicle on the shoulder yesterday evening. This is what was next to the driver! Playing #PokemonGO with EIGHT (8) phones! Driver agreed to put phones in back seat and continued his commute with 8 less distractions. pic.twitter.com/tgOr16CRlm
— Trooper Rick Johnson (@wspd2pio) August 14, 2019
– A new study found the best cities for beer lovers in America, based on the number of breweries per capita. The top three are: Asheville, North Carolina . . . Portland, Maine . . . and Bend, Oregon. (Full Story)
– A woman in Iowa was in a police chase on Tuesday and called 911 to report her car stolen . . . so the cops wouldn’t think she was driving it. But her plan blew up when they eventually stopped the car and found her inside. She’s facing several charges. (Full Story)
– A guy in Florida got into an argument with his neighbors over loud music on Monday and tried to hit them with NUNCHUCKS. But he missed, hit their car . . . and the nunchucks bounced back and hit him in the face. He was arrested for aggravated battery and assault. (Full Story)
– A guy in Tennessee tried to shoplift brisket and propane from Walmart . . . by shoving them down his pants. But two cops in the store caught him . . . and he tried to kick them, so he was arrested for assault on an officer. (Full Story)
– A grandfather named Sam Pratt recently found out his cancer was in remission. So, he celebrated by cashing in over a MILLION frequent flyer miles and took 33 family members with him to Hawaii last week. (Full Story)