FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– On Alicia Keys’ debut album, “Songs in A Minor”, only two of the 16 songs are actually in A Minor. (She may’ve picked the title because she was under 18 when she wrote most of the songs.)
– Louis Armstrong is the oldest person to have a number one single. He was almost 63 when “Hello, Dolly!” hit number one on the Billboard chart in May of 1964.
– Skype’s name is a shortened version of its original name, “Sky Peer-to-Peer.” The people who created it originally wanted to shorten it to “Skyper,” but that domain name was taken.
– The only state you can type with one row of keys on the keyboard is Alaska.
– Before Jim Jones became a cult leader and eventually led more than 900 people to their deaths, he worked as a door-to-door pet monkey salesman in Indiana.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found our top ‘simple pleasures’ include listening to our favorite music . . . buying new clothes . . . sleeping in with no alarm . . . and taking a long, hot shower. (Full Story)
– It’s National Guacamole Day. And a new survey found 1 in 5 Americans would rather swim with sharks than give up guacamole for a full year. (Full Story)
– The average American family sends 10,384 texts to each other in a year, according to a new survey. In a four-person family, that’s roughly seven texts per person, per day. (Full Story)
– A new survey found 22% of Americans couldn’t name a single one of the three branches of the government: Executive, legislative, and judicial. And even though that’s almost a quarter of Americans . . . that’s the BEST PERFORMANCE since this survey started 13 years ago. (Full Story)
– A guy in New Zealand was getting fired, so he hired an emotional support CLOWN to come to the meeting with him. He says his bosses found it funny . . . and he already has a new job with one of their competitors. (Full Story)
— SOCIALITE LIFE (@socialitelife) September 14, 2019
– Here’s a new dating term for you: “Soft ghosting” is when you respond to someone’s texts just by “liking” the message. Now the other person has to decide whether to talk next, or if it’s still your turn . . . and maybe you’ll even get them to give up and end the conversation. (Full Story)
– A woman in San Diego had a dream last week where she swallowed her engagement ring to keep it safe from, quote, “bad guys” . . . and when she woke up, she’d actually swallowed it. Doctors were able to remove it safely. (Full Story)
– Vaping’s been getting lots of bad press lately, so people are trying to quit. And one strategy is . . . smoking cigarettes. (Full Story)
– A guy in Mississippi broke into a shed last week . . . and he was wearing a FULL Captain America costume, which included fake muscles. He was arrested for burglary. (Full Story)
– A 22-year-old guy in California who lives with his parents didn’t want to go to the Los Angeles County Fair with them. So, he emailed the fair a fake mass shooting threat on Friday. The police and FBI traced it to him within hours, and he was arrested for making a false threat. (Full Story)
– A guy in Oregon beat cancer twice. Then last week, he hit the lottery for $4.6 million. (Full Story)