Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Only one satellite has ever been destroyed by a meteor. It was the European Space Agency’s Olympus, and it happened in 1993.
- Every tentacle on an octopus has its own brain.
- People born in 1957, 1968, 1979, 1989, 2000, and 2013 will live an average of 5.2 years less than other people . . . thanks to peaks in solar activity those years. Apparently, the UV radiation from the solar rays affects growth during pregnancy. And people born in 1954, 1964, 1976, 1986, 1996, and 2008 should live the longest, thanks to being born during periods of lower solar activity.
- People have only been using the word “wasted” to describe someone who’s drunk since the late 1960s. Meanwhile, “high” has been used since 1627.
- It’s possible that Beethoven had an irregular heartbeat, which influenced the innovative and unique rhythms in his compositions.
Strange and trending news:
- This isn’t an action-comedy, it’s a TRAGEDY. An Australian man named Ben Stiler is wanted for shooting and killing a man named Duwayne Johnson. (Full Story)
- The FBI arrested a 61-year-old man who refused to give up a LIVE grenade. He was from Snowflake, Arizona. (Full Story)
- A disabled burglar in England was arrested after he made a getaway on his mobility scooter, which can reach speeds of up to eight miles per hour. (Full Story)
- An Australian man was dumped on his one-year wedding anniversary after his wife discovered a “love letter” on his windshield. But the man claims he has no idea what it’s all about and is asking whoever left it to come forward. (Full Story)
- Buzzfeed has a rundown of “14 Horrific Job Postings,” and it includes stuff like employers wanting college degrees for minimum wage jobs . . . one job that doesn’t allow for “unavoidable emergency situations” . . . and a company that wants an “overqualified” person to perform “non-glamorous tasks.” (Full Story)
- A British ad that showed a girl eating cheese while hanging upside down was banned because it could promote behavior that could lead to choking. (Full Story)
- The top trending travel destinations in the U.S. include: Hawaii . . . Charleston, South Carolina . . . Branson, Missouri . . . and Moab, Utah. (Full Story)