Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- The sunlight on Pluto is still bright enough that you could read a book on the surface.
- Google decided to create Google Image Search in 2000 . . . after Jennifer Lopez wore her famous green dress to the Grammys. There were more searches for pictures of her in the dress than ANYTHING before, and the founders realized there needed to be a way to search for pictures only.
- The gopher sound effects in“Caddyshack” are the same as the dolphin sound effects on the TV show “Flipper”.
- Prior to the pandemic, Disneyland in California only closed three times in history: The National Day of Mourning for JFK in 1963 . . . after the earthquake in Northridge, California in 1994 . . . and on September 11th, 2001. Then it was closed for 13 MONTHS during the pandemic, from March of 2020 to April of 2021. In other words, it was closed three days in its first 65 years . . . and 412 days in its last three years.
- The first product ever on QVC when it went on the air in 1986 was a shower radio that cost $11.49. They did $7,400 in sales.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Clean Out Your Fridge Day. If you don’t, you’ll regret it, in . . . oh I don’t know . . . maybe nine days?
- A man in the U.K. has spent weeks in the hospital with “car crash-like injuries,” after he tripped over his cat. The cat had jumped onto his leg, causing him to fall over, and down a flight of stairs. The cat is “absolutely fine.” (Full Story)
- Hidden Valley Ranch just put out a limited-edition version of “Elf on a Shelf” called “Ranch on a Branch.” It comes with a book and a doll named Ranchie. (Full Story)
- 40% of Americans say they’re experiencing more burnout at work compared to last year. (Full Story)
- According to a new study, the most obese states are: West Virginia . . . Mississippi . . . Kentucky . . . Arkansas . . . and Alabama. The least overweight states are Colorado and Utah. (Full Story)
- The Top Five issues Americans think we need to come together to solve are: Climate change . . . voting rights . . . local community issues . . . diversity, equity, and inclusion . . . and improving education. (Full Story)
- Here’s yet another bizarre internet job offer: You can get paid $500 to drink beer and watch the World Cup. (Full Story)
- HelloFresh has been accused of using coconut milk . . . obtained from illegal monkey labor? (Full Story)