Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- The brand Sony was named as a mix of the Latin word “Sonus,” which means “sound,” and the slang term “Sonny,” which was meant to allude to an “innovative and stylish young person.”
- Before Dave Thomas founded Wendy’s, he worked for KFC.
- Carrie Underwood earned college credit for being on “American Idol”. It helped her get her degree in mass communications from Northeastern State University in Oklahoma.
- The holes in Swiss cheese come from microscopic hay particles.
- Steve Jobs only had a 2.65 GPA in high school.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.
- One in three people say finding bugs in their home makes them want to just burn the whole place down. (???) (Full Story)
- A guy says he and his wife hired his mother to housesit and watch the dog for a week while they were away, and when they came back, they discovered that the mother had repainted every room . . . hung pictures on the walls . . . and hung a shop light over the kitchen table. (Full Story)
- Americans’ fondest memories growing up include: Listening to stories from parents and grandparents . . . watching TV and movies with family . . . and eating meals at home with family. Which seems strangely wholesome. (Full Story)
- A 61-year-old man looked at his birth certificate and found out that he’s spelled his OWN name wrong all his life. It’s “Alan” NOT “Allan.” (Full Story)
- 47% of people said they’d be happier if they avoided the news for a month. People older than 65 disagree . . . they were more likely to say that they’d be LESS HAPPY without the news. (Full Story)
- A new restaurant in Fort Worth, Texas has banned cell phones. If someone needs to reach you, they bring an old-fashioned phone to your table, just like restaurants used to. (Full Story)