Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- The average human excretes 6,500 gallons of mucus in a lifetime.
- There have only been 13 NFL players ever who were born in Alaska.
- There’s a town in northwest Texas called Dalhart that’s closer to six other state capitals than it is to Austin: Santa Fe, New Mexico . . . Oklahoma City . . . Denver, Colorado . . . Cheyenne, Wyoming . . . Topeka, Kansas . . . and Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Both Vincent van Gogh and Salvador Dali are named after their older brothers who died before they were born.
- “Nazi” is the Swahili word for coconut.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Watermelon Day. . . and National Grab Some Nuts Day. Despite the wording, it’s ACTUAL nuts: Cashews, walnuts, peanuts, etc.
- Cases of Lyme disease are skyrocketing in rural America. And “coincidentally,” social media influencers are spreading a conspiracy theory that Lyme disease is a “gift” and “intergalactic substance” for the “most deeply spiritual people.” (Full Story) (The CDC has some science-based info on Lyme, here.)
- Roughly 7-in-10 parents say their kid’s education is worth going into debt for. Unfortunately, this is about back-to-school shopping, not college. (Full Story)
- A man in Idaho got pulled over, so he ran to a riverbank and tried to throw a Tupperware container filled with METH into the river. But it hit a tree . . . and was recovered by the cops. (Full Story)
- The “Washington Post” published the results of an investigation into how the batteries of consumer electronics are “designed to die.” And they revealed the “hidden death dates” for a few gadgets. (Full Story)
- Chick-fil-A has revealed “menu hacks” to upgrade your order. (Full Story)
- A farm in Minnesota has an incredible, 110-acre corn maze . . . with 32 miles of pathways. It’s unofficially the world’s LARGEST. (Full Story)
- Tito’s vodka is selling $20 empty cans to “troll” the canned cocktail craze. You can make your own cocktail inside, and the proceeds go to charity. (Full Story)