Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Potatoes are native to South America. They were introduced to the rest of the world only in the last 500 years.
- Pakistan is actually an acronym. It stands for “Punjab, Afghan border states, Kashmir, Sind, and Baluchistan.” (It also translates to “land of the pure.”)
- Steven Tyler came up with “Dude (Looks Like a Lady)” when he saw a guy with long blond hair from behind and thought it was a woman. And that guy was . . . Vince Neil from Motley Crue.
- Colt 45 malt liquor isn’t named after the .45-caliber Colt handgun. It was named after a running back on the Baltimore Colts in 1963. His name was Jerry Hill and he wore the number 45.
- Pharrell’s first hit song was “Rump Shaker” by Wreckx-N-Effect in 1992. He co-wrote the lyrics when he was 19. Way back then, he looked . . . well basically the same as he does now.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Pizza Party Day.
- 62% of people over 77 years old say that reading their favorite childhood books transports them back to those early years. (Back when people would actually READ books . . . paper ones that you held in your hands.) (Full Story)
- Krispy Kreme is giving this year’s high school and college seniors a free dozen donuts next Wednesday . . . just wear “Class of 2022 swag.” (Full Story)
- Different schools, different vices: Four-year college students drink more alcohol . . . but community college students smoke more marijuana. (Full Story)
- The mayor of Maywood, Illinois . . . just outside of Chicago . . . was arrested last week after police allegedly found him asleep and intoxicated behind the wheel on the highway. (Full Story)
- There’s a new partnership where eBay users can showcase their items on . . . Snapchat? (Which is PERFECT for all the kids on Snapchat who are looking to buy some antique candlesticks.)(Full Story)
- Even the FISH in South Florida are on drugs. Several pharmaceuticals . . . including antidepressants, blood pressure medicine, and VALIUM . . . have been discovered in the blood and tissue of fish. (Full Story)
- A woman from Arkansas is going viral after showing off the “fancy” Walmart Marketplace in her town. (Full Story)
- News: Lake Michigan and Lake Huron have lost 20 trillion gallons of water over the last two years. (Full Story)